Puberty & Body Dissatisfaction

Adolescence is a time when young people begin to care greatly about their appearance—how they see themselves and how others see them. They begin to question their appearance—will it help or hinder social and romantic relationships? These thoughts lead to questions of “Am I too _______?”, “I am not _______.”, or “I wish I was _______!”

Although this is not a new phenomenon, the modern adolescent has to contend with the bombardment of media in everyday life. Media is now woven through the tapestry of adolescence. Countless media sources send messages about body image, and much attention has been given to media, in all of its forms, for promoting the idea that “thin is beautiful” or that you have to “look a certain way” to be popular, smart, or get a date.

The most important message: The media’s job is to promote perfection by using images as a barometer. Their job is to create a perfect person, which does not exist, so that an advertiser’s product will be purchased by a consumer who hopes to transform themselves into a perfect person. The media is an illusion and should be viewed through the lens of the fantasy it was hired by advertisers to create.

Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way……………… the rest of the message comes by understanding puberty and some of the effects not talked about in standard family life classes.

Body dissatisfaction and the ill effects it can produce have the most negative impact on young girls as they enter puberty. In fact, “Only about one fourth (26.7%) of American adolescents are highly satisfied with their body.”[1] That means three out of every four (73.3%) adolescent girls you meet is at risk for some sort of unhealthy habit, thought, or pattern surrounding their body and this usually translates into unhealthy food and eating habits.

Although less than 1% of female adolescents are anorexic and only about 4% bulimic, these are just the reported statistics. I can say that I attended a middle school filled with closet bingeing and purging and it is unlikely they would have admitted the behavior. It was even an accepted practice in many movies of my middle school and early high school generation. Of course, I’m showing my age in that respect, but from what I see on my own social media and the social media of those teens I do know—body image is still a hot topic. A topic still misunderstood, still unhealthy, and still needing serious conversations. Mixed messages sent by the media, parents, peers, and other role models can lead to a lifelong unhealthy relationship with food at best and body dysmorphia at worst.

It’s important to talk to adolescents about healthy food choices and exercise, not “controlling” weight (or image). Openly discuss issues surrounding body dissatisfaction and don’t discount concerns as adolescent angst, irrational comments, dramatic play, or comparison syndrome. The thoughts and feelings adolescents have about their body, especially in middle school, are seared into their fiber and become a part of who they will become as an adult—good, bad, or indifferent.